Taking proactive steps to prepare for an oncoming storm can save lives and minimize damage to your property, so we’re here to help you get started.
Extreme weather can include tornadoes, floods, hailstorms, hurricanes, blizzards, thunderstorms, and more. It’s not pleasant to think about how these storms might affect you, but being prepared is your strongest defense against any potential damages.
Today, we’re sharing five steps you should consider taking to prepare your household for a storm or other natural disaster. Read on to learn more.
Know the Risks Associated With Your Specific Area
Natural disasters vary between regions, so it’s critical to understand which types of hazards might come your way. If you’re a Utahn, it’s best to prepare for the following storms:
- Winter storms
Be sure to familiarize yourself with the risks associated with the common disasters in your area.
Sign Up for Alerts and Warnings
Storms can happen with little to no warning, so you need to ensure that your phone is set up to receive important alerts. Sign up for Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) and opt-in to receive area-specific warnings through your city or county.
Make a Plan
A written disaster plan is essential for storm preparation. Your emergency action plan should include the following:
- Escape routes
- A designated emergency meeting spot
- Contact numbers of emergency response personnel
- An emergency contact
- Pet plans
- Instructions for how to shut off the utilities in your home
- Important documents stored in a plastic bag or a waterproof box
Review this information with your family and rehearse your emergency plan often.
Build an Emergency Kit
You or a loved one might suffer injuries in an emergency. An excellent first aid kit is necessary to keep minor injuries from getting worse. Here are a few essential items you should consider including in your emergency kit:
- Sterile gloves
- Adhesive bandages in various sizes
- Gauze roller bandages
- Antibiotic ointment
- Any prescription medication you take every day
- Non-prescription medication (allergy medication, pain reliever, antacids, etc.)
Prepare Your Home and Yard
When preparing for an oncoming storm, don’t forget about your home and yard. Here are five items you shouldn’t overlook:
- Tie-down or store any items that could blow around in strong winds
- Trim any tree branches or shrubbery that could potentially fall on your home
- Clean out your gutters and drains regularly to prevent flooding
- Fix any damage to your roof
- Verify your insurance coverage
Call Western Disaster Clean Up for Any Disaster
In the event of a storm, Western Disaster Clean Up is here for you! We’ve perfected the art of cleaning up after a disaster as we’ve handled thousands of floods, fires, sewage backups, and other damages. We’ll determine the best way to cover the costs for your clean-up and remediation as we work with your insurance provider.
We serve countless cities in Northern Utah, including Salt Lake City, Heber, South Jordan, Lehi, Orem, Spanish Fork, Nephi, and more! Give us a call to get started today!